Breakfast is an essential part of your day. It is important to eat a filling, yet satisfying breakfast every morning as it kick-starts your metabolism, provides essential nutrients to keep you fueled throughout the day, controls your blood sugar levels, and replenishes your glucose supply that is often depleted overnight.
Smoothie bowls are a perfect breakfast option, as they provide a great balance of protein, fiber, and energy, not only leaving you feeling satisfied throughout morning, but also satisfying all your cravings (and sneaking in a couple servings of fruit and vegetables, too). The best part about smoothie bowls is that no two taste the same – you can switch up the ingredients and toppings with whatever you’re in the mood for!
I have a smoothie bowl at least 3 times a week because their delicious taste and creamy texture tricks me into thinking I’m eating soft serve ice cream 😉. This recipe is one of my favorites and is packed with various micronutrients and phytochemcials.
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup of frozen berries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup of cooked beets
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1/2 cup of cooked, frozen zuchinni
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric (for it’s many beneficial anti-inflammatory properties)
- *1 tbsp chia seeds
- *1 tbsp hemp harts
- * 1/2 tbsp psyllium powder
- 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder to increase the protein content!
*Optional ingredients to boost your fibre intake, enabling you to feel more full, without drastically changing the taste.
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1/2 kiwi, sliced
- 3 strawberries, sliced
- 3 tbsp of granola
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp golji berries
Don’t skimp out on the toppings – they’re the tastiest part! Drizzling any sort of nut butter, maple syrup or honey also makes a great topping for those with a sweet tooth.
- Combine all of the ingredients beginning with liquids into a food processor (I use a VitaMix) and blend until a smooth, thick, consistency is reached.
- Pour liquid into a bowl and add all of your favorite toppings.
- Enjoy your delicious smoothie bowl!!! – This recipe serves 2
Your body is so AMAZING! You should be thanking it for everything it does by adequately nourishing it with healthy, tasty, whole foods!
Have a great week!