These peppermint black bean brownies are a delicious healthy “ish” treat if you’re craving something sweet! This recipe is an easy way to sneak in a couple extra servings of legumes and is p-a-c-k-e-d with fibre. I promise you won’t be able to taste the black beans – I have tricked multiple people into thinking these are regular brownies… Let the Christmas baking begin!!
- 1½ cups of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- 1 mashed banana
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 ½ tbsp sugar
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- ¾ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I did half semi-sweet and half 70% cocoa)
- 2 crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine all ingredients, except for chocolate chips into a food processor or blender, and blend until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Pour batter into a large bowl, add chocolate chips, and stir.
- Pour batter into a 8×8-inch greased pan, and evenly spread.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once cool, top brownies with crushed candy canes and additional chocolate chips if you desire (just for good measure 😉 ).
Enjoy the rest of your day, happy baking!!