Summer isn’t over quite yet! Follow these simple steps to make your own homemade, fresh Ontario peach jam.
- 12 medium sized Ontario fresh peaches (or enough peaches to make 6 cups of prepared fruit)
- 3 cup of granulated, white sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and blanch peaches – this should take ~5 minutes.
- Remove peaches from boiling water, and immediately place them into a cold water bath – this should allow for the skins to come off smoothly.
- Remove skin and pits from peaches, and cut (or mash) peaches into small bite sized pieces.
- Add peaches, sugar and lemon juice to a large pot over low-medium heat.
- Cook this mixture for 10 – 15 minutes, mashing any large chunks of peaches as they begin to soften; stir constantly.
- Continue stirring mixture on medium – high heat until the set point is reached (jam slowly slides off of the back of a spoon).
- Remove jam from heat, continue to stir until the mixture begins to thicken and foam subsides.
- Follow proper canning procedures – ensure to leave ¼ inch headspace.
- This recipe makes ~ 5-6, 250 mL jars of jam. Enjoy!
Although this recipe it a little higher in sugar, it is low in comparison to other jam recipes. BUT, it is important to remember, everything in moderation … including moderation!!! Besides putting this peach jam on all my favourite carbs (!!), I also like mixing it into plain Greek yogurt, drizzling it over top of vanilla ice cream or as a glaze for meats.
Enjoy the last of what summer has to offer! Have a great week!